Your mentee is starting high school, and so are you! To help with this transition and minimize frustration Seedling hosts a “Welcome to High School” training each Fall. In the meantime, here are some changes coming their way.
- In most high schools, Seedling does not have a designated school contact to help our mentors connect with their mentees. We rely on the kindness of high school staff who agree to share the mentee’s schedule and assist with the initial mentor visit. Therefore, it can take a little longer to reconnect in the fall.
- To aid in connecting with your mentee, if you haven’t already, you may want to sign up for Seedling’s SMS Texting service for the purpose of texting to confirm your mentor visit day, time and (upon the return to in person meetings) meeting location.
- Classes begin between 8:30 and 9am in the morning, and school ends at approximately 4:15 pm.
- Lunch times can start as early as 10:45 and as late as 1:30 p.m.
- The High School Campus is much larger than their Middle School, it is easy to get lost.
- Schedules vary; some schools have 7 classes a day; some have an A/B day or an A/B/C day.
- Students have more freedom than in other school settings, but also have more expectations put on them from teachers, administration and family.
- Students have less interaction with counselors, unless student initiated.
- Students are encouraged to plan for their future beyond High School.
- High School students have more homework assigned to them and could spend several hours a night completing it.
- Freshman will be attending school with students older than them. Most seniors turn 18 years old during the year.
- Many upper classmen drive their own cars to school.
- Extra-curricular activities like sports and band, continue to strengthen friendships and influence group culture.
Things to keep in mind when we return to in-person visits.
- It is in your best interest to call the front office to inquire if your mentee is present the day of your visit.
- When you arrive to the front office of your mentee’s school, sign in using the school’s visitors binder and use Seedling’s Mentor Portal to track your mentoring visits. Once you are checked in, you will be given a visitor sticker from the high school office staff.
- Because you will be on a larger campus with many students who drive their own cars to school, it is important to arrive at least 5 to 10 ten minutes early to find parking.
- The cafeteria is very crowded, with many lines leading to different food stations.
Agreeing to meet your mentee “in the cafeteria” won’t work in high school. Be very
specific about where and when you will be meeting.